During a recent coach training event with members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America’s (ELCA) coaching leadership team, the participants brainstormed 14 reasons why coaching is something that every leader should leverage for their personal and professional development.
1. Coaching is a time saver.
2. It helps with accountability.
3. It is effective in helping overwhelmed leaders work through their options.
4. It is effective in helping underwhelmed leaders to see opportunities.
5. It is post-modern. Coaching assumes the leader has knowledge.
6. It is a proven discipling model worldwide.
7. It offers a good model for a church that seems to have worn out a lot of old models.
8. Coaching provides a personal GPS.
9. Coaching provides a connection between individuals and their church.
10. Coaching helps people feel both successful and qualified.
11. Coaching spurs creativity.
12. Coaching is affirming.
13. Coaching is an investment in a leaders success.
14. Coaching lends itself to using technology.
This list is the product of just a few minutes work. If you were making your own list, what reasons would you cite for why coaching is a tool that every leader needs in their toolbox? Please add your reasons in the comment area below.